Van Gogh and the Potato cake (ENG)
Vincent Van Gogh was in Nuenen for two years, and in this time he painted around 200 oil paintings, and some watercolors and drawings. All of his artworks have the same muted colour palette, quite different of the colours that will make him famous.
This farmers’ artworks could remind us Millet’s painting Angelus. In fact, Van Gogh was a great fan of the Barbizon’s painter, and that is why he decided to portray these people working in rural areas. We know the admire that the Dutch painter had for Millet through the letters he wrote to his brother Theo.
In Mallorca, coca de patata is a kind of potato cake, and it is one of the most typical sweets of the island, especially from Valldemossa, a nice town you have to visit if you are on a trip in Mallorca. We usually eat these cakes with ice cream in summer and hot chocolate during winter. In fact, at home we always eat them on Christmas Eve with a cup of hot chocolate. Hope you like it! .
Coca de patata (potato cake)Eating Arts
- 200 g boiled potatoes
- 500 g flour
- 200 g sugar
- 100 g lard
- 50 g milk
- 30 g yeast
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- icing sugar
Elaboración paso a paso
- Firstly, boil potatoes. Once boiled, mash them.
- Mix potatoes and lard while they are warm.
- Add sugar and eggs, and mix it well.
- Add milk and yeast and mix.
- Add flour and knead the dough (you can also use a food processor).
- Let the dough rise in an oiled bowl over a night.
- After that, place little balls of dough on a baking pan and let them rise again, so the balls dough have to double their size.
- Bring the baking pan in the oven at 180º for 10 minutes approximately.
- At the end, when they are cold, sprinkle icing sugar on the top.